Visit the live site
Can highly recommend Ben, is working with me on various Web sites and video products. Great work ethics and really impressed with his honest attitude and professional approach for such a young lad. Well done Ben!
— Wayne Norcliffe RICS
Wayne Norcliffe, the director of Castle Surveyors, approached me enquiring optimisation for his WordPress website. His website was initially running at a 8.6 seconds load speed with a total page size of 3MB and a total of 131 requests to other websites. The website was image heavy, resulting in the large website size and was not serving full-sized images.
In early 2020, I suggested an update design, which I proposed a new brand style-scape that could be rolled out throughout Burt Education's social media along with a new website design and architecture following modern design language and more appropriate for mobile viewing. A key part of websites is having an obvious entry point and call-to-action, giving the users of the website something to go to and engage with - resulting in the vibrant call to action buttons on the majority of the page headers along with a home page alert bar advertising applications for tuition.
The project lasted 2 weeks, in which I setup a local WordPress environment, migrated the website locally and worked through a list of steps I had created based on the feedback taken from performance websites such as GTMetrix and improved the overall performance.
Processes of Optimisation
- Enabling G-Zip on the Apache (web) server.
- Optimising all images on the website by compressing and creating thumbnails.
- Decrease the amount of issues and errors displayed on performance services such as Pingdom and GTMetrix and reduce errors in the developer console on browsers.
- Enhance SEO practices on the website to optimise appearances in search engines.
- Minimise the amount of HTTP requests to other websites to speed up website loading times.
- Removed invalid and missing elements and pages
- Initial loading speed was 8.6 seconds and was lowered to 6.8 seconds, however the page is displayed around 2 seconds due to the pre-loaded images.
- Total page size decreased from 2.96mb to 2.63mb.
- 131 HTTP requests reduced to 98 (Castle Surveyors links to many other pages who place their cookies on his website for business purposes such as CheckATrade.)
Migration of Castle Surveyors
Wayne had approached me regarding the server holding https://www.castle-surveyors.co.uk and wanted a backup server as well as a new domain in the case he suddenly needs to change hosting and can keep his flow of business. I provided him with a reputable hosting company and domain provider, which I assisted him in purchasing and setting up with. I was requested that I complete a full migration of the website - which required database administration and WordPress re-configuring for the new domains and databases.
The timescale set was 3 working days. The first day I spent taking a backup of the databases and website from the old hosting provider and database software. Having worked with his website system before, this meant I was already familiar with his hosting configurations. Once I was provided with the new hosting providers login credentials, I was able to import the previous configurations once I had changed the domains in the respective system files. The second day was set around updating all canonical links for pages and scanning the database for any incorrect links to the domain. The theme that Castle Surveyors uses also comes with a font family for icons in the footer, which had presented errors as it was trying to connect to the .co.uk domain as it was linked to in the style sheet of the theme. The third day was when I contacted Wayne to test all the contact forms on the website, which were the key part for him to make business. Once he confirmed he received all the outputs, we agreed the project was successful and all was completed.
Get in touch!
Are you interested in working on your digital appearance or have general questions? I'm available to contact via a number of platforms. For business enquiries, contact me on LinkedIn or via email, or if you want to contact me for a non-business related matter, direct message me on Instagram!